Why did you pick your nickname and avatar?

The public venue for SeventhFlighters and non SeventhFlighters alike! Cookies not included!

Moderator: Raidleads

Neithan
MoFo
Class: Paladin

Why did you pick your nickname and avatar?

Post by Neithan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Today is spam thread day!

So, here is the thing:
-why did you pick your character name?
-what does your avatar mean?
-what about your signature?

Have fun :)
Haven't changed main for all of WoW club

Neithan
MoFo

Re: Why did you pick your nickname and avatar?

Post by Neithan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:48 pm

I guess I'll start... I picked Neithan out of... frustration, honest...

My first "official" nickname (Firiel) was taken, and I didnt think of using weird ì's. Tried a few more, nope, nope, nopenopenope... when I finally got one working it stuck. Also, Neithan means "the offended" and is one of Turin Turambar nicknames.

My avatar is Ratchet, from Transformers G1, he is -the- healbot, so not much of an explanation needed I guess :)

As for my sig, I rally don't remember on what occasion i stumbled into it, I don't even recall the source, yet it applies wonderfully to my last ten years in WoW. For those that don't know french and wondered: "the delicious and always new pleasure of a useless occupation".

Jevar
Class: Priest

Post by Jevar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:38 pm

I finally inserted my normal avatar just for this thread \o/

Lessee. Jev is, well, Jev. I make a habit of creating my character names from a scratch, although there is a three or so names that I've copied off of somewhere. But Jevar is one of my original character names, and as he has been my main ever since I created him (not my first char though!) I became accustomed to being called Jev online.

The awesome avatar of killertomato is ages old, I found it in a wikipedia parody site and more or less illegally copied it and have been using it ever since.

Haven't bothered with a signature though. Muffins!
The scary recruitment officer and P-I-N-T-A.

Sinespe

Post by Sinespe » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Sinespe /latin/ means without hope, which is the oposite of me - hope till the last moment, even after all hope should be lost. My first character with this name was a female rogue, I remember parts of the story behind it, but not enough to retell it. Since then I always name my female characters Sinespe. About the avatar... it is just a cool sloth, thinking about it now there is no sloth that is not cool. And my signature is a really catchy phrase (try humming it and you will see) from a song you probably haven't heard of. :)

Since the avatar logo cannot be read I will make it my signature. It describes me at the moment.
Last edited by Sinespe on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phellia
Social Raider
Class: Druid

Post by Phellia » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:01 pm

I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Er... that was for Sinespe.

So, me. I've had a lot of names in a few games. Back in my first go at WoW I was Maraquinn on my first character. She was a night elf druid and I loved her but she got in with a bad crowd* so I had to abandon her. I stuck with the Mara theme when I moved to my new server and had Marafel and Marasyn as my mains. Next MMO I went to was LOTRO and I didn't fancy keeping the name Mara- so I changed to Phedre after the main character in Kushiel's Legacy. I got to being known as Phe. Even when I played SWTOR and TESO I was Phe because I played with Elders in both games. So when I made my druid I wanted to stick with Phe, but not Phedre cause it was used. Phellia is like the end of Ophelia. I just liked it.

It is grumpy cat and I liked it when I found it. I'm a cat owner and it is just cute.

I am a graphic designer so I like to make a graphic signature. The many threes repeating quote is from SoO Klaxxi. I found that since my Starsurge was on the key 3 and since it procced a lot during this fight it was quite appropriate. I miss insta-cast starsurge. But I'll keep the quote for its nostagia. ;)

*You don't want to know.
Last edited by Phellia on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I see many threes repeating. –Iyyokuk the Lucid

Nantuui
Master of Treasury

Post by Nantuui » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:47 pm

My name is completely made up. I always create names following the following formulae.
I have to like how it sounds.
Nobody else in wow must have it, on any server
Google must not come up with anything dodgy

Unique snowflake syndrome right there ;-)

My avatar is Nantuui in front of a warlock summoning portal.

My signature is... Is... What is my signature? . I must post and find out.

Edit: Oh yes it is from a song by Mama Cass Elliot. I strongly believe that people should have the right to go their own ways and have the right to be different. And besides the movie I first encountered it in, Beautiful Thing, made a deep lasting impression on me at the time.
The Druid Nivena formerly known as the Shaman Nantuui, formerly known as the Paladin Kethilva, formerly known as the Priestess Cethwen.
Also known by other names and symbols (all unpronounceable for added unique snowflake effect)

Ravensvoice

Post by Ravensvoice » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 am

my name comes from the last name of a story telling persona I was working on when i started playing wow, who would end his storytelling with : traveller by fate, bard by choice , my name is Roland Ravensvoice.

in his background story he got the name because someone once told him that he sang worse than the raven in the fox and the raven story (where the cllever fox gets the cheese from the ravens beak by tricking him into "singing" with his "beautiful" voice. poor fox must have regretted doing so when afterwards whenever the raven spotted him it started to serenade him but thats another story)

since I dont have an avatar (other than my in game one I guess) and I also dont have a signature, there is not much of a story there.

Iluin
Senate
Class: Shaman

Post by Iluin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:11 am

Illuin, also known as Sky Blue, was the northern of the two Lamps of the Valar, set on the great tower Helcar by Aulë to bring light to the world of the Valar.

I don't remember if Illuin was taken or if I liked it better with one L but there you go.

As for my Avatar ... stumbled over it on the net a few years back. Dunecat is cute!

My signature is the Guild Message of the Day fro ma few weeks back. Had to be saved!
Seventh Flight - Home of the unhappy and depressed - but warm and naked - Raiders! Tis a home away from home.

Neithan
MoFo

Post by Neithan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am

Iluin wrote:
My signature is the Guild Message of the Day fro ma few weeks back. Had to be saved!
It's one of the things I dislike about phpBB, old sigs get lost :(

Hjorleif
Class: Mage

Post by Hjorleif » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:32 am

Neithan wrote: -why did you pick your character name?
back when I was a chaotic young man I was into fantasy books like the ones of Dave Duncan
(DE) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dunc ... h_Sword.29
(EN) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dunc ... enth_Sword

There was this awesome Sword Fighter called "Shonsu" soo that's why I had this name :)
Neithan wrote: -what does your avatar mean?
It's a cute Tux cow - and my dearest mascott, and also serving as testing image for all my projects :P
Neithan wrote: -what about your signature?
everyone loves strudels! personally I hate sweets, but since they're beer flavoured I just extract the beer from them :p
Last edited by Hjorleif on Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dinxli - Master mage for the ancient secrets of conjuring beer flavoured strudels - I'm YOUR personal strudel maker

Yataum
Class: Warlock

Post by Yataum » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

I got back to Mists of Pandaria after a long WoW hiatus. In order to get a fresh start I decided to level up a monk rather than playing one of my old characters. I wanted a oriental sounding name for my Female Pandaren Monk and after some googling and Chinese dictionary browsing I settled on Meifei (words mei and fei combined). I liked the sound of it. Like most Chinese words the meaning depends on how you pronounce it. Mei can mean "beautiful" or "younger sister" among many others, fei can mean "hide", "bandit" or "luxuriant" to name a few. How to pronounce it? Oooh...heard so many variants, just like the original Chinese. Personally I say it like "MAI FAI". However, when I changed my race to Female Dwarf I thought the oriental name no longer suited her so change the name to Kettry. Sadly, it never caught on and everyone still calls me Meifei. Might as well change it back I guess. :lol:

As for my Avatar, well it's the character Taokaka from the video game Blazblue. When you absolutely need a female cat hybrid with a boobs fetish. :D

http://blazblue.wikia.com/wiki/Taokaka

Iluin
Senate
Class: Shaman

Post by Iluin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Sadly, it never caught on and everyone still calls me Meifei.

Arckhed is switching to Nostogarr with WoD ... guess what name I'll use when we need a Cress? ;)
Seventh Flight - Home of the unhappy and depressed - but warm and naked - Raiders! Tis a home away from home.

Arckhed

Post by Arckhed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Iluin wrote:
Sadly, it never caught on and everyone still calls me Meifei.

Arckhed is switching to Nostogarr with WoD ... guess what name I'll use when we need a Cress? ;)
Druid rez now?

Neithan
MoFo

Post by Neithan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:11 pm

A few alts, with feeling

Firiel, my druid. This would have been my main name, and its the nickname I'm usually called with in a Tolkien setting. Means "the one that fades / goes away / dies". Originated from a DnD campaign character named Firiel Tindomerel (this last part meaning Daughter of the dusk). Note: it used to be my first fire-mage on another account.

Arioch: my first warlock, the only class I could play as main apart from Neith. Means "Fiery beast" in jewish, but also is a Duke of Chaos in Elric of Melnibone.

Antinisca: (or antiniska, for the belf version) is my draenei mage. The name originates from a novel dating 1400 or so (Guerrino detto il meschino), I liked the sound of the name, so here you go.

Morsmordre: my DK, it's the spell casting the Dark Mark in Harry Potter...

Eskral: my rogue. Withour spoilers, it's a technique described in Robin Hobb books to "lobotomize/zombify" people... fascinating uh? Again, liked the sound of it.

Chagrin: my sad warrior, now emigrated to a remote server. Probably because I dislike the class, or because I rolled it in a not too happy period. He also had his own guild, like most of my characters, called <Tristesse Oblige>.

Psygnosis: my priest, also had his guild <Shadow of the Beast> if this requires any explanation you are younger than 30.

Changer: after Fitzchivalry Farseer, Robin Hobb again, one of the fantasy characters I feel the most tied to in history. He is a hunter, in wow.

Jizdin: my new mage, again, from Robin Hobb, Jizdin is a material similar in a way to Ithildin.

Kelsingre: god, the amount of Robin Hobb characters, I never noticed. Used to be my monk, now my second lock. Kelsingra was the capital of an ancient Dragon empire.

Avinash: meaning "indestructible" in sanskrit, is my shaman. Heard it first in the movie "Nirvana" which is horribly dubbed in english, so you would probably not love it as much as I do.

I also saved Garmonbozia for another character, or possibly to give to Kelsingre, when i turn him into a female gnome. It's the essence of despair and suffering, used as a "currency" between evil spirits in Twin Peaks.

Atryel

Post by Atryel » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Atryel

back in the days I was singing in a rock band, for fun.
There was this girl ( a real gnokka ) that used to play bass guitar and was totally into power/melodic metal.
She lent me a CD, Legendary Tales, by an italian band, Rhapsody of Fire. There was a tale about this holy warrior, Atryel or something on his quest to bump a beautiful princess.
How could I disappoint that gnokka player ?
Now I don't remember her name anymore, I can't hear that music anymore, but Atryel has been my nick since then.
About my avatar, I don't have any at the moment, I could use that picture of my clout mace I took yesterday!